Episode 126: If You Want to Try Backpacking,
You’re in Good Company
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Backpacking can be transformative – hiking out with everything you need on your own two feet is empowering. But it can be intimidating when you first get started, especially if you’re the first in your family or friend group to get out there. So we turned to our She Explores community for their advice.
With the help of listeners and Backpacking 101 author Heather Balogh Rochfort, we share stories of first-time backpackers, what they learned, and what they’d recommend you do differently your first-time overnight on the trail.
Whether you’re a seasoned backpacker or a beginner, there’s inspiration and a little magic to be found in this episode.
Banner Image courtesy of Laura Navar
Featured in this episode:
Voice memos: Maggie Rehberg, Holly Bullis, Jennifer Jansen, Lindsey Falkenburg, Victoria Wang, Laura Navar, Tori Morrison, Marie Vanderpool, Lori O’Connell, Sarah Grothjan, Alexandra Goldman, Meg Dagon, and Julie Hotz.
Interview with Heather Balogh Rochfort on getting started backpacking.
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, Josh Woodward, and Meydän using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Stories of listeners’ first time out backpacking
- The story of host Gale Straub’s first backpacking trip
- Conversation with Heather Balogh Rochfort, author of Backpacking 101, about practical advice for women who are new to backpacking, including:
- What to pack
- Leave No Trace
- Advice from listeners about what they wish they knew when they got started, as well as specific advice for fellow solo backpackers
- A bit of cheerleading you didn’t know you needed to take the final step towards your first backpacking trip!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Beginner backpacking resources mentioned:
- Heather Balogh Rochfort: Instagram, Blog & Books – Backpacking 101 & Women Who Hike
- Listeners Featured:
- Maggie Rehberg: Instagram
- Holly Bullis: Instagram & Website
- Jennifer Jansen: Personal Instagram & Wanderluv Maps: Instagram & Website
- Lindsey Falkenburg: Instagram & Tandem Trekking Blog
- Victoria Wang: Instagram & Teacher Life Pod
- Laura Navar: Instagram
- Tori Morrison: Instagram & Tickled by Travel Blog
- Marie Vanderpool: Instagram & Photography Site
- Lori O’Connell: Instagram & Feed N Flow – Outdoor Adventure and Keto lifestyle blog
- Sarah Grothjan: Instagram & Website; She Explores Podcast Episode – Apple Podcasts & Spotify
- Alexandra Goldman: Instagram & the Ladies of the JMT facebook group she referenced
- Meg Dagon: Instagram
- Julie Hotz: Instagram, Website, and Unrooted Podcast
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
- Merrell: Learn more at Merrell.com*
- Deuter: Learn more at Deuter.com
- Rooted: Get 15% off your first order by heading to Rooted.nyc/explore and using code EXPLORE at checkout
Featured in the Episode
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.