Episode 74: Solo
(But Not Quite Alone)
Banner image a self portrait of Sunny Stroeer
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Your stories of spending time solo in the outdoors. Including a bikepacker, a so-called fat hiker, an aspiring astronaut, an extrovert, two med students, and a backcountry paddler, in short – you and me.
It’s been almost 2 years since we last asked you about how you adventure solo in Episode 8 of She Explores, Alone on the Trail. Gale asked for new submissions and she received more than she could squeeze into this episode, which is a great thing! It means you’re getting out there.
Please keep in mind when you listen – there are inherent risks to recreating in the backcountry, whether you’re with a friend or by yourself. It’s always a good idea to take inventory of your limits.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How solo time in nature opens up your headspace
– Why the listeners who submitted take time for themselves solo
– How Beth Bradley and Jessie Johnson used solo hiking to help quiet the negative body talk that went on in their heads
– Why getting outside solo isn’t always a choice
– The ways in which you might be physically solo, but not quite alone while you’re out there
– Why an extrovert says it’s ok to find other people to adventure with
– The value of a long thru hike
– How going it solo can be empowering
– Some motivation to take the next step
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
– Sunny Stroeer: Website, Instagram, Outside Online Article, Alpinist Article
– Jodi Spangler: Instagram
– Jessie Johnson: Instagram, Portfolio, and Women on the Road Interview
– Beth Bradley: Watch her full story here, Instagram
– Francesca Turauskis: SeizeYourAdventure.com
– Savannah Simmons-Grover: Blog
– Natalie Izzo: Instagram
– Kathi Kamleitner: Blog
– Kristine Turner: Instagram
– Emily Sehloff: Instagram
– Ashley Franklin
– Sian Proctor: Facebook, Kickstarter, and Camino talk
– Julie Hotz: Instagram and Portfolio
Hosted by Gale Straub
Jessie Johnson’s Full Submission
Beth Bradley’s Full Submission
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Jason Shaw, and Smaller Tide via freemusicarchive.org.
Music is also by Fort Vine
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Sponsor Websites & Codes
Ritual: Try Ritual for one month – if you don’t like it, get your money back!
Benchmark Maps: Get 20% off (and free worldwide shipping) at checkout with code SHEEXPLORES