Banner image a self portrait of Sunny Stroeer
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Your stories of spending time solo in the outdoors. Including a bikepacker, a so-called fat hiker, an aspiring astronaut, an extrovert, two med students, and a backcountry paddler, in short – you and me.
It’s been almost 2 years since we last asked you about how you adventure solo in Episode 8 of She Explores, Alone on the Trail. Gale asked for new submissions and she received more than she could squeeze into this episode, which is a great thing! It means you’re getting out there.
Please keep in mind when you listen – there are inherent risks to recreating in the backcountry, whether you’re with a friend or by yourself. It’s always a good idea to take inventory of your limits.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How solo time in nature opens up your headspace
– Why the listeners who submitted take time for themselves solo
– How Beth Bradley and Jessie Johnson used solo hiking to help quiet the negative body talk that went on in their heads
– Why getting outside solo isn’t always a choice
– The ways in which you might be physically solo, but not quite alone while you’re out there
– Why an extrovert says it’s ok to find other people to adventure with
– The value of a long thru hike
– How going it solo can be empowering
– Some motivation to take the next step
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
– Sunny Stroeer: Website, Instagram, Outside Online Article, Alpinist Article
– Jodi Spangler: Instagram
– Jessie Johnson: Instagram, Portfolio, and Women on the Road Interview
– Beth Bradley: Watch her full story here, Instagram
– Francesca Turauskis: SeizeYourAdventure.com
– Savannah Simmons-Grover: Blog
– Natalie Izzo: Instagram
– Kathi Kamleitner: Blog
– Kristine Turner: Instagram
– Emily Sehloff: Instagram
– Ashley Franklin
– Sian Proctor: Facebook, Kickstarter, and Camino talk
– Julie Hotz: Instagram and Portfolio
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Jason Shaw, and Smaller Tide via freemusicarchive.org.
Music is also by Fort Vine
Ritual: Try Ritual for one month – if you don’t like it, get your money back!
Benchmark Maps: Get 20% off (and free worldwide shipping) at checkout with code SHEEXPLORES