Banner image and artwork by Anna Brones
Sponsored by Escape Campervans and Deuter
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Cheryl Strayed never planned on giving advice professionally and doesn’t love a guru, but she agrees with Anna Brones that everyone has wisdom to bestow upon others. The key is to seek as much as you share.
When our friend, the artist and writer Anna Brones offered to chat with Cheryl Strayed at Mountainfilm in Telluride for She Explores, the answer was a resounding yes. Anna is working on an ongoing paper cut series called, Women’s Wisdom Project that has evolved from simple portraits with quotes to full conversations and write ups. This episode is an extension of that concept, and offers us the opportunity to contemplate the wisdom we receive from women in our everyday lives.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– About the evolution of Anna’s “Women’s Wisdom Project”
– How Cheryl is an “accidental self help writer”
– Why advice giving should be a horizontal exchange vs. a top down one
– The importance of seeking out wisdom in those close to you
– The influence Cheryl’s mom had on her life, in particular as it relates to seeking out beauty in the every day
– Why kindness and vulnerability are often underrated in our culture
– Why Anna believes the most revolutionary wisdom is often the most basic
– How Cheryl sometimes feel like she doesn’t ‘look like’ the type of person to write Wild
– That Cheryl is both a 49-year-old mom, but also an avid wilderness athlete
– Why Cheryl is excited to get older
– How to feel better about saying “no”
– The role fear plays in stepping outside and creating art
– The overlaps we all have with the wisdom Cheryl shares
– How through her writing, Cheryl has told the truth about real life (whether venturing into the wilderness, grieving, or setting your life back on course) and made people feel less alone
And if you want to read through some of Anna’s takeaways, head here! ->
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featuring: Cheryl Strayed & Anna Brones
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org.
Music is also by Liam McNally and Our Many Stars
30/100 #womenswisdomproject – made it to 32 this weekend which is *almost* the 1/3 mark. Sometimes that critical voice in my head says “you’re only at 32?? Why is this taking you so long?” And when that question arises, it’s a good time to sit down and think about the value of time. Each one of these takes time to research and time to cut, and that’s time that I sit with the women and her words. And whether it’s an interview with a modern woman in which I actually get to interact, or a deep dive researching a historical female figure that I don’t know much about, it’s always an involved process that makes me feel deeply connected and thankful for learning.
Note: The Amazon links above are affiliate links. By purchasing through them, you support us with a small commission at no charge to you.
Be the first to comment