Episode 92: Quitting Can Be A Kindness
Interview with Nicole Antoinette
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Nicole Antoinette quit her thru hike of the Pacific Crest Trail after about 1,600 miles and she’s ok with calling it a failure. In fact, Nicole questions why we have to choose either success or failure. Can’t we be gentler with ourselves? Can’t we set out to both succeed and fail?
Nicole Antoinette has a gift for applying lessons she’s learned to new chapters of life. We talk about how what she’s learned in sobriety applies to distance running applies to thru hiking applies to us all.
Plus, take our survey to help us create 2019 podcast content!
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featuring: Nicole Antoinette, host of Real Talk Radio Podcast
Cameos by Carrot Quinn, Rahawa Haile, and Karen Wang
Hosted by Gale Straub
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music is by Jason Shaw and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org using a CC by A license
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How long distance running can be a gateway to thru hiking
– Physical activity as a way to cope with new sobriety
– Why you don’t have to be “good” at something to do it
– Why growth is a value for Nicole
– When making life changes is a lonely thing
– Why Nicole wanted to hike the PCT on her own but also wanted a trail family
– What the culture is like on the PCT
– The awareness Nicole has for her body while hiking
– “‘Success’, whatever that means”
– Giving yourself room to fail (on a trail and in life)
– Post-trail depression and why “this too shall pass”
– The mindset of embracing “both/and” vs. “either/or” aka we don’t have to be one thing
Nicole On the Pacific Crest Trail and the Arizona Trail
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Nicole Antoinette: Website & Instagram
- Real Talk Radio Podcast
- Nicole’s Patreon
- 2019 She Explores Listener Survey
- Carrot Quinn’s Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart
- Carrot’s episode on She Explores & Real Talk Radio
- Rahawa’s episode on She Explores & Real Talk Radio
- Karen’s episode on She Explores & Real Talk Radio
- Brainstorm National Park Puzzle
- She Explores Podcast Facebook Group
Sponsor Websites & Codes
- Benchmark Maps: Get 20% off your order with the code ‘SHEEXPLORES’ at checkout
- Outdoor Voices: Get 20% off your order of $100 or more with the code EXPLORES at checkout via Outdoorvoices.com/explores
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.