Episode 65: Playing to Her Strengths
At Flash Foxy Women’s Climbing Festival
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Sponsored by Vasque
Banner image by Jaymie Shearer
In climbing, it’s key trust yourself and your community. Discover what it’s like to attend the Flash Foxy Women’s Climbing Festival through the ears of a beginner. Jaymie Shearer takes us to Bishop, CA to climb, contemplate, and learn some life lessons.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– Thoughts on setting intentions to respectfully climb and recreate in
– An introduction to three types of climbing: trad, sport, and
– What it’s like to climb with just women
– The element of fear in rock climbing and how it relates to life
– What it means to ‘identify as a climber’
– Learning to honor your strengths
– How Shelma Jun got started climbing and where she found mentorship
– The need for more mentors in climbing
– The importance of being vocal in outdoor situations
– Real women talking about why they love rock climbing
– Advice for how to invite others in and create safe spaces for women in outdoor activities
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Jaymie Shearer, Claudia Gallegos, Shelma Jun: Flash Foxy & Never Not Collective (interviewed on episode 28), Tristin Vaughn, Savannah Norris-Jenkins, Jolie Varela. Featured in the midroll: Stephanie Harper.
Please note that there was an error in this episode – it is Paige Garratt speaking at 20:40, not Brooke Holloway.
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music by Distance
Music is also by Chris Zabriskie, Lee Rosevere, and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org.
From the Women’s Climbing Festival
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
The Mentorship Gap: Article by Shelma Jun