Episode 73: How to be a Role Model
Interview with Mirna Valerio
Banner image of Mirna by Tammi Nowack
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Ultrarunner Mirna Valerio is a role model for many because by doing what she loves, she shows others what is possible. She’s modeling being a black, fat girl running, moving her body up and over mountains. Which begs the question – what are you modeling for others?
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– Why when Mirna coached high school students, she taught them to love running as a lifestyle
– How Mirna answers the oft-dreaded question, “What do you do?”
– How nature and trail running impacts Mirna personally
– The ways in which joy and suffering balance each other in ultrarunning
– Why it’s important to put in the work, but why it’s also important to rest and listen to your body
– Why Mirna doesn’t believe changing one’s outward appearance leads to happiness
– How our culture uplifts a certain beauty standard, and the ways in which Mirna believes this is changing
– What she’s learned from other plus-sized women about what they want their outdoor apparel to be like
– What Mirna thinks about being a role model for others
– Who Mirna looks up to in her everyday life
– Advice for listeners on how they can be a role model
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Mirna Valerio, AKA “The Mirnavator.” Mirna is a full-time ultrarunner, author, and public speaker. She blogs at Fat Girl Running and Runner’s World.
Want to meet Mirna in person? Our friend Shanti Hodges is hosting a retreat in October. Learn more here and take $50 off with the code, ‘SheExplores’ at checkout!
Hosted by Gale Straub
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Steve Combs, and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org.
Music is also by Memory Palace
Mirna in Action
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
– Mirna Valerio’s Instagram
– Mirna Valerio’s Memoir: A Beautiful Work in Progress
– The Mirnavator – Short Film produced by REI and directed by Sarah Menzies
– Mirna’s blog, Fat Girl Running
– Submit your story of going solo in the outdoors!
Sponsor Websites & Codes
Benchmark Maps: Get 20% off (and free worldwide shipping) at checkout with code SHEEXPLORES
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.