Episode 101 – Hike, Journal, Meditate
Interview with Kenya and Michelle Jackson-Saulters
Banner image of Amanda Gates
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
A little mindfulness goes a long way. Meet Kenya and Michelle Jackson-Saulters, co-founders of Outdoor Journal Tour and WE Hike to Heal.
We have a lot on our minds and we often put our own needs on the backburner. Kenya and Michelle believe that self-care can look like a walk in the woods and that the effect is multiplied by journaling and meditating. They’re on a mission to help women all over the world reclaim their bodies, minds, and communities through their special guided hikes and mindfulness lessons.
Featured in this episode: Kenya Jackson-Saulters and Michelle Jackson-Saulters, co-founders of Outdoor Journal Tour
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Jason Shaw, Lee Rosevere, and Kai Engel using CC by A license
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How meditation can amplify the positive effects of your experiences in nature
- What ‘grounding’ is and why it’s important
- About the origin of Outdoor Journal Tour (ODJT)
- The positive benefits of hiking, journaling, and meditating
- About Michelle’s first solo hike in Georgia
- How ODJT cultivates a welcoming and non-intimidating environment on their group hikes
- Why ODJT gears their work towards women
- About the Journal of Mindful Movement
- Why Kenya included a ‘body apology’ in the journal
- How when we think about health, we should include mental as well as physical health
- About WE Hike to Heal and the March initiative culminating in group hikes around North America on March 30th
- Why embracing healing doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with us
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Outdoor Journal Tour: Website & Instagram
- WE Hike to Heal: Website
- Sign up for a hike March 30th
- Register to lead a #WEhiketoheal hike! Here’s the form
- Kenya Jackson-Saulters: Website & Instagram
- Michelle Jackson-Saulters: Instagram
- UN/ROOTED podcast: Website & Instagram
- Mirna Valerio: Instagram & SE Podcast Episode
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
- Head to notecast.app and use the code ‘EXPLORES’ to get your first 60 days free
- ThirdLove: Head to ThirdLove.com/explore for 15% off your first purchase
- EarlybirdCBD.com: Head to EarlybirdCBD.com/explores Use code EXPLORES at checkout for 20% off. Free shipping, too!
Kenya, Michelle, and Outdoor Journal Tour
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.