Episode 67: Fat and Outdoorsy
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Sponsored by Vasque
Banner image by Paulina Dao
Jenny Bruso is the founder of Unlikely Hikers. Her work is rooted in her belief that there is room for every body on the trail. Jenny is queer, fat, and femme, and she’s passionate about cultivating a safe space in the outdoors for people of all backgrounds and body sizes.
Unlikely Hikers is just two years old, but its positive reception proves that the time is right for outdoor media and meetups that include rather than exclude, and encourage people to occupy their bodies rather than critique them. We talk with Jenny about Unlikely Hikers’ growth, how straight-sized people can be considerate of others while in the outdoors, where she finds her hiking apparel, and more.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– Why Jenny Bruso started Unlikely Hikers and what it means to be one
– How her time on the trail equates to self care
– How Unlikely Hikers group hikes intentionally cultivate a safe space for all people (including queer, trans, people of color, fat, disabled, etc.)
– Why Jenny’s ground rules for hikes include not talking about weight or dieting
– The assumptions straight-sized people make about fat people on the trail (and how to avoid making them)
– Why representation of marginalized communities in the outdoor industry won’t change unless those communities are included when decisions are being made
– The lack of options available for plus sized athletic clothing (and who is doing a good job)
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music by Feverkin
Music is also by Lee Rosevere and Evan Schaeffer via freemusicarchive.org.
Jenny & Unlikely Hikers
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Huffington Post article on Unlikely Hikers
Outside Online: “I don’t hike to lose weight, I hike because I love it”
Kaily Gashi: Instagram
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.