Episode 106 – Work and Play
Interview with Weekend Adventurer Holly Johnson
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Hiking has become both a side hustle and a form of therapy for weekend adventurer Holly Johnson. We talk about how work and play blend together in her life, but also how she deliberately keeps them separate. From her first solo backpacking trip to carving out time for adventure travel outside of her 9-5 job, Holly, aka @missholldoll, is above all else a hiker.
We talk with Holly about how she got started hiking again as an adult, what kept her hiking, and how it all made her more comfortable owning all the different parts of herself.
Featured in this episode: Holly Johnson, self-described “weekend adventurer” on her Instagram handle @missholldoll
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How an ex-boyfriend reintroduced Holly to hiking (but why she kept hiking for herself)
- About her first solo backpacking trip
- Why she enjoys going out with friends but finds solo experiences to be rewarding
- How she grew a large Instagram following and does brand partnerships, but chooses to keep it as her side hustle
- What Holly likes about her 9-5 job
- How Holly balances what she chooses to share and what she keeps to herself
- Why, into her late 30’s, she’s made dating a smaller priority in her life, and how that’s opened up room for hiking and travel
- Hiking trips on her bucketlist (and to return to!)
- About the adventure trip she’s running to Costa Rica
- The She Explores book & Tour
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Holly Johnson: Instagram @missholldoll & Website
- Costa Rica trip Holly is co-hosting with Trova
- She Explores Book & Tour
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Holly on the Trail
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.