Episode 120: Giving Wildlife a Second Chance
Rescue, Rehab, & Release
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
We humans have a habit of getting in the way of wild animals, but wildlife rehab is one way we can give back. Sirena Rana Dufault has spent nine of the last ten years volunteering at Wildlife Rehabilitation Northwest Tuscon. She shares why it’s needed, what happens when an animal is taken in, funny stories along the way, and the beauty of the release.
As Sirena mentions in the episode, Wildlife Rehabilitation Northwest Tuscon is a completely self-funded facility that relies on donations. If you’d like to help support the work they do there, head to their website and donate, or give them a follow on their Facebook page to stay in touch.
Banner image by Sirena Rana Dufault
Featured in this episode: Sirena Rana Dufault
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How Sirena got started volunteering at Wildlife Rehabilitation Northwest Tuscon
- What wildlife rehabilitation is and why it’s necessary
- Funny (and scary!) stories from volunteering
- Why Sirena loves dedicating some of her spare time to rehabilitating large birds of prey like owls and peregrine falcons
- The life cycle from intake to release
- When release back into the wild isn’t possible
- Myths and misconceptions of animal rescue
- How to get involved, too!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Northwest Tuscon: Website & Donations Needed
- Sirena Rana Dufault: Instagram
- Trails Inspire: Website
- Episode Landing Page
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
- Merrell: Learn more at Merrell.com
- Ritual: Get 10% your first 3 months by heading to Ritual.com/EXPLORE
Wildlife Rehabilitation Northwest Tuscon
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.