Episode 114: Safer Alone in the Backcountry
Interview with Sarah Grothjan
Sponsored by Merrell
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Sarah Grothjan believes solo hiking is one of the safest things she can do. Sarah explains why she feels safer alone in the backcountry than she does in her off-trail life. We talk with Sarah about how a city can feel less safe than being by yourself in the woods, why she wants to change the pervasive narrative that says otherwise, and how the last five years of hiking and backpacking have helped her come out of her shell and step into herself.
Banner image courtesy of Sarah Grothjan
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Josh Woodward, Kai Engel, and Lee Rosevere using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How Sarah got into hiking and backpacking solo
- Why she wants to break the pervasive narrative that women need a man to hike safely in the backcountry
- How a stalker changed her perspective on city life and words from thru-hiker Heather Anderson made her want to try backpacking
- The ways hiking and backpacking helped with Sarah’s shyness
- That there are risks to spending time in the backcountry, but Sarah doesn’t believe they are gender specific (for the most part)
- The mixed reactions Sarah gets from people about her solo outdoor experiences
- Why she wrote an essay for Outside Online and what the feedback was
- What outdoor trips Sarah is looking forward to this summer
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Sarah Grothjan: Instagram and Website
- Sarah’s Outside Online Article: Backpacking is My Respite from Sexual Harassment
- She Explores Podcast Facebook Group
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.