Episode 117: Pushing Through
Featuring Meghan and Laurie Young
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Laurie Young stepped into her daughter Meghan’s world by joining her on a trek to Annapurna base camp in Nepal. Together they pushed through every challenge that presented itself while learning that limits are flexible and the mother/daughter relationship is more fluid than we think.
Trekking in Nepal is a demanding physical endeavor for most, but Laurie had a traumatic fall when she was celebrating her 60th birthday in Italy. Thanks to her daughter Meghan, part of her recovery a year and a half later became training for a hike to Annapurna base camp. They promised themselves that they would listen to their bodies, and it took them further than they thought possible.
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How a mother/daughter relationship evolves over time
- The ways a big goal can help one in recovery for a traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- The ways TBI symptoms can manifest
- Why Laurie and Meghan wanted to hike to Annapurna base camp together
- What training for altitude and strenuous hiking was like
- All the unexpected things that happened on the trip
- Why Meghan wanted her Mom to feel the accomplishment of achieving their goal
- How their trip had its challenges but was ultimately a privilege
- What mother and daughter learned about each other abroad
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
- Benchmark Maps: Use code ‘SHEEXPLORES’ for 20% off your order!
- Aunt Fannie’s
- Parks Project: Use code ‘SHEEXPLORES’ for 15% off all discountable apparel and accessories!
- Ritual: Use code ‘EXPLORE’ at checkout for 10% off your first three months
Meghan and Laurie Trekking in Nepal
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.