Episode 116: To Be Seen
Featuring Photographer, Climber, & Writer Nikki Smith
In partnership with Mountain Hardwear
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Nikki Smith likes to say that she is a climber, photographer, and writer who just happens to be transgender. Professor Brené Brown inadvertently changed Nikki’s course when she wrote about midlife, “it’s time to show up and be seen.” It was the inspiration Nikki needed to step into herself, and it’s since served as a reminder of what she wants to do for others.
We say “step into” because Nikki has always been Nikki, and she’s carried a curious, creative, empathetic spirit with her throughout her life.
This conversation with Nikki Smith was made in partnership with Mountain Hardwear. If you’re in the San Francisco area, climb with Nikki and the Mountain Hardwear team at Touchstone Climbing Gym Saturday, June 29th 7-10pm.
Featured in this episode: Nikki Smith – Photographer, climber, writer, designer, and Mountain Hardwear Ambassador
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- All the different parts of Nikki’s identity that make up who she is
- Her creative roots in photography, climbing, writing, and cooking
- Why so much of Nikki’s work is grounded in connection to others
- What drew her to climbing and why it became an unhealthy coping mechanism
- Why ‘realization’ vs ‘transition’ is the word Nikki would choose in coming out as trans
- How a quote from Brené Brown inspired Nikki to “show up and be seen”
- How her story isn’t entirely her own, and why she’ll keep sharing it as long as it’s beneficial for others
- Nikki’s latest creative goals
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Nikki’s professional Instagram: @pullphoto
- Nikki’s photography portfolio & writing
- Nikki’s Guidebooks
- Outside Online Article: Being Nikki Smith
- Brené Brown
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Resources for Transgender People in Crisis
- Flash Foxy Women’s Climbing Festival
- Touchstone Climbing Gym Pride Activities
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Nonprofits and Organizations Mentioned at the End of the Episode
- Out There Adventures
- LGBTQ Outdoor Summit
- Unlikely Hikers
- The Venture Out Project
- Queer Nature
- Queer Mountaineers (Podcast)
Nikki near her home in Utah
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.