Episode 130: Forever Unfolding
Interview with Author Kara Richardson Whitely
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Kara Richardson Whitely is the author of Gorge, a memoir about her climb up Mount Kilimanjaro and her lifelong experience with binge eating disorder, the most common (but least talked about) eating disorder. Kara’s proud to be part of a growing community of plus-size adventurers, while simultaneously acknowledging that her relationship with food and her body is forever unfolding.
Featured in this episode: Kara Richardson Whitely
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Swelling, Josh Woodward, Kai Engel, Lee Rosevere, and Monplaisir using a CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How’s Kara’s definition of a “hiker girl” has changed over time
- What binge eating disorder is, how it’s not talked about enough, and why it needs to be talked about more
- Why, when Kara wrote about her third hike up Mount Kilimanjaro in her memoir Gorge, she decided to include her relationship with food
- How hiking gives Kara space to think, and how it’s basically the opposite of bingeing
- About the first of Kara’s Moving Mountains Retreat series
- Why Kara is proud to be part of a growing community of plus size hikers
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Kara Richardson Whitely: Website, Instagram & Facebook
- Move Mountains Retreat: Reset Your New Year – January 12, 2020; Learn more here.
- Books: Gorge (2015), The Weight of Being (2018), and Fat Woman on the Mountain (2014)
- She Explores Podcast Facebook Group
- Mirna Valerio: Instagram
- WNDR Outdoors: Instagram
- About Binge Eating Disorder
- Listen to the Curvy Kili Crew Hike on She Explores
- Jenny Bruso’s guide to plus size activewear
- National Eating Disorder Association: Helpline
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Kara in her Element
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.