Episode 130: Forever Unfolding
Interview with Author Kara Richardson Whitely
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Kara Richardson Whitely is the author of Gorge, a memoir about her climb up Mount Kilimanjaro and her lifelong experience with binge eating disorder, the most common (but least talked about) eating disorder. Kara’s proud to be part of a growing community of plus-size adventurers, while simultaneously acknowledging that her relationship with food and her body is forever unfolding.
Featured in this episode: Kara Richardson Whitely
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Swelling, Josh Woodward, Kai Engel, Lee Rosevere, and Monplaisir using a CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How’s Kara’s definition of a “hiker girl” has changed over time
- What binge eating disorder is, how it’s not talked about enough, and why it needs to be talked about more
- Why, when Kara wrote about her third hike up Mount Kilimanjaro in her memoir Gorge, she decided to include her relationship with food
- How hiking gives Kara space to think, and how it’s basically the opposite of bingeing
- About the first of Kara’s Moving Mountains Retreat series
- Why Kara is proud to be part of a growing community of plus size hikers
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Kara Richardson Whitely: Website, Instagram & Facebook
- Move Mountains Retreat: Reset Your New Year – January 12, 2020; Learn more here.
- Books: Gorge (2015), The Weight of Being (2018), and Fat Woman on the Mountain (2014)
- She Explores Podcast Facebook Group
- Mirna Valerio: Instagram
- WNDR Outdoors: Instagram
- About Binge Eating Disorder
- Listen to the Curvy Kili Crew Hike on She Explores
- Jenny Bruso’s guide to plus size activewear
- National Eating Disorder Association: Helpline
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Kara in her Element
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.