Episode 84: Lightening Trauma’s Invisible Weight on the Trail
Interview with Sydney Williams
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Sydney Williams is more than a weight loss story, or an outdoors person with Type II diabetes, or a trauma survivor. But hiking the Trans-Catalina trail the second time helped her put it all together.
Sydney shares how she has freed up space in her mind by “hiking her feelings.” In doing so, she’s been better able to break through the negative voices in her head and begun to move forward from a sexual assault 12 years prior. In October, she’s going on tour to share her stories with others.
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featuring: Sydney Williams, going on tour to talk “Hiking My Feelings”
Hosted by Gale Straub
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music is by Josh Woodward, Lee Rosevere and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org using a CC by A license
Music is also by Great Lands
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How Sydney hiked the Trans-Catalina Trail in Southern California two times: the first time it was the hardest thing physically, the second it was the hardest emotionally
– Why a diagnosis of Type II diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to Sydney
– The four things Sydney learned to manage when monitoring her blood sugar
– Why stress can be so hard to regulate
– How Sydney started hiking her feelings rather than eating and drinking her feelings
– What was revealed to her about her past trauma on the trail
– How hiking has helped her own her story
– Why Sydney is going on a speaking tour in southern California to share her experience and where you can hear her talk
– The lost potential of women due to sexual violence
– How the outdoors helped Sydney coax healing from the trauma she carried
Sydney on the Trans Catalina Trail
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Sponsor Websites & Codes
- BetterHelp: Get your first week of counseling from a licensed therapist free. Use code ‘explores’ to get started.
- Outdoor Voices: Get 20% off your first order of $100 or more by heading to Outdoorvoices.com/sheexplores and using the code ‘SHEEXPLORES’ at checkout
- Robinhood: Get a FREE stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint to help build your portfolio! Sign up at explores.robinhood.com
- UBiome: Head here for your Smart Gut test.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.