Episode 146: Feeling the Loss of a Thru-Hike
Interview with Lindsey Falkenburg
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Lindsey Falkenburg is feeling the loss of a 2020 thru-hike… and remembering what she’s made of. Like a lot of 2020 thru-hikers, Lindsey canceled her plan to hike the Continental Divide Trail in June. In its absence, she’s allowing herself to feel the loss – and also filling her cup with urban hiking, art, and re-discovering her resilience.
Featured in this episode: Lindsey Falkenburg
Outdoor Memory shared by Sarina Clark
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music in this episode is by Meydan, Lee Rosevere, Swelling, and Kai Engel using a Creative Commons attribution license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- What thru-hiking has added to LIndsey’s life
- A bit about Lindsey’s previous hikes of the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail
- Why she’s intentional about building a career and balanced life between thru-hikes
- The decision that went into canceling her 2020 southbound thru-hike of the CDT
- Why Lindsey feels a sense of community with fellow thru-hikers
- Why Lindsey thinks it’s important for outdoor-lovers to grieve the loss of what they were hoping for this season
- Advice for thru-hikers who had to cancel their hikes
- Advice for all people who are experiencing the outdoors differently today
Sponsors and Discount Codes
- Salomon: Learn more at Salomon.com
- Deuter: Learn more at Deuter.com
- Travel South Dakota: Download the vacation guide for your future trips at TravelSouthDakota.com
Lindsey on the Trail
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.