Episode 105 – Choosing Environmental Optimism
Featuring Photographer & Climber Kylie Fly
In partnership with Mountain Hardwear
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
This Earth Day, we’re looking on the bright side. We’re asking, how can a sense of environmental optimism keep us facing forward? What strength do we gain when we’re comfortable starting fresh – whether it’s a climbing route, in our personal lives, or in our approach to sustainability?
We climb and camp in Moab, Utah with Mountain Hardwear ambassador Kylie Fly, who knows thinking outside the box is beneficial to all aspects of life.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featured in this episode: Kylie Fly – Photographer, climber, and Mountain Hardwear Ambassador
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license. Music is also by Liam McNally.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Why Kylie gravitates towards optimism in all areas of her life
- How she got into climbing and the advice she has for others who want to get started
- Why she loves climbing
- Times in climbing (and life!) where she’s approached a route and started from scratch
- How Mountain Hardwear has started from scratch with their whole gear line for spring, including tents without fire retardant chemicals
- Why environmental optimism can help us through challenging times
- The small steps Kylie takes to recreate and live sustainably
- How brands are using more sustainable (and recycled) materials
- What we can do when spending time outside to minimize our impact
- The She Explores book & Tour
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Kylie Fly and the crew in Moab
Gale and Kylie, photo by Laura Hughes
Kylie and Allie finding a route to climb; Photo by Gale Straub
Kylie getting ready to shoot
In her Mountain Hardwear Lamina ECO AF Sleeping Bag
Setting up camp near Moab; Photo by Gale Straub
Allie Oaks climbing at Wall Street; Photo by Gale Straub
From the passenger seat in Moab; Photo by Gale Straub
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.