Episode 87: Down with Adventure
Interview with Melody Forsyth
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Pregnant with her daughter Ruby, Melody Forsyth thought hiking would be her “last hurrah” when she found out Ruby has Down Syndrome (DS). Turns out, it was just the beginning. We talk about what having a child with special needs has added to Melody’s hiking and personal life, and how she uses social media to break stereotypes about her little girl and DS.
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featuring: Melody Forsyth
Hosted by Gale Straub
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, and Google Play.
Music is by Jason Shaw via freemusicarchive.org using a CC by A license
Music is also by Bouquet and Liam McNally
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How Melody balances the roles of mother, nurse, hiker, and wife
– The ways in which a backpacking experience in her teens has carried with her into her 40’s
– Getting started hiking again a little later in life
– Why fear of not getting to explore after having a child with Down Syndrome got Melody’s family outside
– How seeing a kid with special needs at a National Park assuaged Melody’s fears
– How Ruby connects with the outdoors
– Melody’s family’s quest to visit all the National Parks in the US
– The ways Melody uses her Instagram [@downwithadventure] to correct misconceptions about Down Syndrome and hiking with a child with special needs
– What Ruby has taught Melody (and can teach us!)
Melody, Ruby, and her family
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Down with Adventure: Instagram
- Goal Zero Post about Melody and her family
- Women on the Road Gathering w/ Vanlife Diaries
Sponsor Websites & Codes
- Away: Get $20 off your first order of a suitcase by going to awaytravel.com/explores. Use code ‘EXPLORES’ at checkout.
- Bombas: Get 20% off your first order by going to Bombas.com/explores and use code ‘EXPLORES’ at checkout.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.