Episode 108: The Curvy Kili Crew
Banner image by Allison Fleece
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
For International Women’s Day, 20 plus-size women hiked Mount Kilimanjaro with WHOA Travel. They called themselves the Curvy Kili Crew. Each had a different reason and background, but they came together to take up space on the highest mountain in Africa. One goal? To normalize fat hiking around the world.
Diandra Oliver brought along a recorder to the mountain to share the seven-day trek with us. She’s also working on a memoir about the experience.
Featured in this episode: Diandra Oliver, Autumn Stofflet, Eve, Sharon ‘Shazz’ Nderitu, and Deb Malkin
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Why Diandra Oliver wanted to climb Mount Kilimanjaro
- How the stakes feel higher when society’s expectations don’t align with your own
- Why reaching the summit was the main goal but why we might want to re-think summit culture
- The challenges of finding gear
- The shared experiences and bonding found in group activities (and it was typically harder for Diandra)
- The biodiversity of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Sounds and stories from the trail
- What acclimatization feels like
- Why self-care is important
- How standing on the top of the mountain felt
- Why sometimes a sign is not a summit
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Curvy Kili Crew Instagram
- WHOA Travel
- Take the Extended Apparel Sizing Quiz
- Diandra Oliver’s Blog Sink Ships & Instagram
- Sharon “Shazz” Nderitu: Instagram
- Deb Malkin: Instagram
- Eve: Instagram
- Autumn Stofflet: Instagram
- Glamour Article
- Adrienne Maree Brown, author of Emergent Strategy
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
The Curvy Kili Crew
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.