Episode 104 – On and Off the Icefield
Interview with Abstract Artist Hannah Perrine Mode
This episode sponsored by ThirdLove & Robinhood
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Anyone else a ‘bad’ science student in high school? For those who haven’t been indoctrinated, earth science can be all intimidating facts and hard edges. Hannah Perrine Mode is an abstract artist who has found a connection to science through her artwork. Her experiences as a science communicator as part of the Juneau Icefield Research Program in Alaska have opened her up to more diverse methods of sharing glacial and earth science with people – on and off the icefield.
We talk about how Hannah went from being a self-described ‘bad’ science student to using abstract art to tell the stories of glaciers, to creating an installation at Google featuring women scientists.
Correction: Hannah went to Skidmore College for undergrad, not Syracuse University.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featured in this episode: Artist Hannah Perrine Mode
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kaie Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Why Hannah advocates for more hands-on science in high school and college
- How both creating art and spending time outside became an entry point for Hannah to learn more about science and geology
- About Hannah’s love of and fascination with glaciers
- How she got involved with the Juneau Icefield Research Program (JIRP)
- Why Hannah argues for diverse methods of science communication
- The important role art plays in conservation conversations
- About her installation at Google that celebrates female scientists
- What Hannah hopes for the future of science and art
- Why Hannah doesn’t have her career all figured out but has been enjoying looking back and seeing what has followed her throughout it so far
- Advice for other artists
- The She Explores book & Tour
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Hannah Perrine Mode and her work!
Photo by Andrew Opila
Hannah at the Juneau Icefield. Photo by Ben Huff.
Teaching on the Juneau Icefield. Photo by Daniel Otto
Hannah, photo by Alex Hamilton
Book that is part of Hannah’s Google project
Cyanotype constellation installation at Google
Book created for Google installation highlighting women in science
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.