Episode 44: Doing the Work
Adventure Photographer Kylie Fly
Feature image above by Aly Nicklas
We talk with Kylie Fly about how she’s creating her own career in the outdoor industry as an adventure photographer, when it’s right to say no to opportunities, and why for her, people always come first.
Kylie’s tips for making your own career:
1) Put yourself out there. Whether it’s the side of a mountain, on social media, or in Peru, Kylie practices her craft by doing and showing.
2) Keep learning. Kylie emphasizes that she’s not an expert, that there’s alway more to be curious about.
3) Don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t feel like it’s happening for you, or like you’re not getting the jobs you want. Continue to do #1 – do the work that inspires.
4) Weigh the pros and cons of unpaid work. Consider how it will serve you and your goals. Consider the potential of a project beyond the current scope.
5) Take a deep breath and know it’s ok to say no sometimes. No to a work opportunity, no to a social event, no to that knot of anxiety inside your stomach.
Subscribe to She Explores podcast via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Google Play.
Music by Lee Rosevere, Steve Combs, Kai Engel, Josh Woodward, & Fog Lake via freemusicarchive.org
Kylie in Action
Photos by and courtesy of Kylie Fly
Links/Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.