Episode 119: Adventure Moms
Getting Out There With (and Without) Your Kids
Sponsored by OtterBox
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group!
Becoming a mom doesn’t mean you stop going outside. We pulled together five incredible adventure moms to talk about getting out there with (and without) your kids.
We ask questions like: how do you know which trails are age-appropriate? How do you make time as a single mom? Where can you find affordable gear? How can you use the outdoors as a place for education?
Continuing the conversation from a panel at Outdoor Retailer, we teamed up with OtterBox to highlight all the “cans” of motherhood when it comes to the outdoors.
Featured in this episode: Shon’t Savage, Brooke Froelich, Heather Balogh Rochfort, Melody Forsyth, and Jessica Carrillo Alatorre.
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How the moms’ outdoor lives change (or didn”t change) shape when they had kids
- Why Shon’t wanted to maintain a self outside of mother when she had her son
- How Adventure Mamas helps mothers with self care in the outdoors without their kids
- Tips for making time outside solo (even if you’re a single mom)
- Advice for getting out there with your kids on the trail and the ski slope
- About Hike It Baby and their new age-appropriate Family Trail Guide
- Tips for hitting the trail with special needs kids from Melody Forsyth, aka @downwithadventure
- How to find affordable used gear for growing kids
- Ways to keep your kids engaged as they grow older
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Shon’t Savage: Instagram
- Brooke Froelich: Instagram
- Heather Balogh Rochfort: Instagram
- Melody Forsyth: Instagram
- Hike It Baby
- Adventure Mamas
- Women Who Hike Book
- Hike It Baby Trail Guide
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.