Rebroadcast: Creatives On The Road
Alison Turner & Amanda Sandlin
For this week’s episode of Women on the Road, we wanted to share with you an early episode of our sister podcast, She Explores, that focuses on Creatives on the Road. This was originally aired as Episode 5 of She Explores, long before Women on the Road itself was a podcast. In reflecting back on this earlier content, it was interesting for us to think about all that has changed since this episode’s original air date and all that has, in many ways, remained the same when it comes to solo travel, the creative process, and social media.
In this rebroadcast of Episode 5 of She Explores , we interview Alison Turner and Amanda Sandlin. They’re two very different women in different stages in their “van lives” as well as their creative careers.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Why Alison feels most like herself alone with her dog Max in the backcountry
- Why Alison loves taking photos
- What the photographic process is like for Alison
- The importance of reaching out to those you admire
- When Amanda started to identify as an artist
- The challenges Amanda has come up against as a fine artist with a mobile studio
- Why social media doesn’t always tell the full picture of creativity
- How travel has made Amanda appreciate people more than ever
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Alison on Instagram – @alisontravels
- Alison’s portfolio – Alison Turner Photo
- Follow Amanda on Instagram – @atwildwoman
- Amanda’s portfolio – Amanda Sandlin
- Women on the Road on Instagram – @womenontheroad
- Join the Women On The Road Podcast Facebook group
About the Interviewees
Alison has lived in and out of a van for the past 5 years, and traveled in a teardrop trailer and tent before that. She picked up photography 7 years ago and has been pursuing it since. We learn that there are many reasons Alison loves to escape in her van with her rescue dog Max.
Amanda is relatively new to her life in her built-out minivan. She’s been on the road three months and is learning how to maintain her creative practice on the move. She’s found that it hasn’t been easy, but she’s enjoyed pushing herself and meeting new people.
Subscribe to She Explores via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay and wherever you stream stories ->
Music is by Jason Shaw and Josh Woodward.
Alison Turner’s Work. See more on her portfolio site and Instagram.
Are you a creative on the road? Share your story!
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.