Episode 48 – All the Right Moves: Kate Ortiz
Hosted by Laura Hughes
Kate Ortiz is making all the right moves– mostly because she’s turned her last two cross-country moves into epic multi-state road trips.
Not sure about you, but it sounds stressful to live on the road and move simultaneously. Where do you put all your things? Like, really? Do you take a trailer? What about when you get to where you’re going? Do you already have a job lined up? What about the costs associated with moving? Doesn’t that make it harder to actually make the most of your travels?
Kate answers all of these questions, plus so much more, live from host Laura’s driveway. She shares her account of making the most of her moves with her husband Enrique and two cats and demonstrates that it doesn’t take much to turn any travel opportunity into an unforgettable adventure.
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How many places Kate has been able to visit during her moves
- Why you should consider more van camping on the East Coast
- The beauty (and solitude) of state parks
- Why Kate’s favorite time of year to camp is fall
- How Kate first started turning her moves into big road trips
- Tips on how to ship moving boxes safely and inexpensively
- What Kate learned from two cross-country moves
- The importance (and struggle) of getting rid of your belongings
- How to pack for every season in a camper when space is limited
- Ways you can give back to friends when you stay at their houses
- The importance of visiting friends while traveling
- What it’s like to travel in a camper van with two cats
- How Kate keeps her cats warm while traveling in the winter
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Kate on Instagram – @katetronn
- Bus Freighter
- Propex Heaters
- Submit your voice to be in an upcoming episode of WOTR!
- Women On The Road on Instagram – @womenontheroad
- Join the Women On The Road Podcast Facebook group
Sponsor Websites & Codes
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Fridays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram @howsheviewsit and see more of her work through her website, How She Views It.
Music is by Josh Woodward using a CC by A license.
WOTR podcast cover artwork designed by Dani Opal.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.