Episode 41 – On Letting Go & Surfing Rivers: Brittany Parker
Hosted by Laura Hughes
Also featuring Natali Zollinger
River surfing, a niche but growing sport, has taken Brittany Parker from one river to another since 2011, from successful competitions in Colorado, to completing a first descent of the Zambezi River in Africa by stand up paddleboard, to co-founding an instructional river surfing business called RVR 2 RVR. This year, things started off really promising for Brittany– but then it all changed.
For Brittany, this past season has been one full of trauma, change, transition, growth, and– as you’ll hear time and again in this episode– letting go. Because when we go through big changes– and especially when they’re unplanned– the key to moving forward is all in how well we can let go of the expectations that were, to make room for what comes next.
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- About Brittany’s new-to-her 1994 Ford Coach House van
- What river surfing is, and how Brittany first got started doing it
- How Brittany went from being a novice to a competitive river surfer
- The accident that changed the course of Brittany’s year in a big way
- How her close friend and business partner Natali helped Brittany using her Wilderness First Responder training
- Brittany’s current journey of healing
- The importance of tuning into your body, no matter your health
- Her insights on letting go of expectations
- Brittany and Natali’s whitewater SUP instruction and excursion company, RVR 2 RVR
- Brittany’s advice for anyone out there wanting to try something new,
take a risk, or get out on the road.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Brittany Parker – @bp.surfs on Instagram and her blog, bp.surfs
- Listen to Brittany’s new podcast, Ride The Swell
- Natali Zollinger – @natalizollinger on Instagram
- RVR 2 RVR – @rvr2rvr on Instagram
- Badfish SUP
- And She’s Dope Too
- Interested in becoming Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certified? Find a Wilderness Medicine course near you.
- She Explores, a book by Gale Straub – available for pre-order now!
- Women On The Road on Instagram – @womenontheroad
- Join the Women On The Road Podcast Facebook group
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
- Benchmark Maps
- Limited Edition Rumpl x Yakima x Stickfort Puffy Blanket
- Enter to win an incredible prize pack through the #mymountainhome photo contest!
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Fridays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram @howsheviewsit and see more of her work through her website, How She Views It.
Music is by Logan Nickleson, Josh Woodward, and Hyson via Music for Makers and Free Music Archive using a CC by A license. Additional sound by Herbert Boland via Free Sound using a CC by A license.
WOTR podcast cover artwork designed by Dani Opal.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.