Episode 3: A Girl and Her Van (Plus One)
Hosted By Laura Hughes
Featuring Alex Ulmke
Roads are full of twists and turns. So is the life you live on it. What happens when you come up against the inevitable challenges of living from one place to the next? And how do you come out better for it?
Alex Ulmke of A Girl And Her Van knows all about the ups and downs of life on the road. When we first met Alex one year ago, she was feeling lonely and disconnected on the road. Since then, and because of her resilient nature, she’s learned a lot about breaking through challenges to the other side. Laura asks Alex about her triumphs and challenges thus far and hears where her travels have taken her in the past year.
Also covered in this episode: why Haines, Alaska is a magical place, how to amp up your camping meals, and what item is the most-missed home luxury on the road.
Follow Alex Ulmke on Instagram or read about her travels on her website →
Learn more about Alex by reading her written interview from the beginning of her travels →
Music is by Josh Woodward
Episodes will air bi-weekly on Fridays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram and learn more about her on her portfolio site or through her travel blog, The Vanna Project.
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us.
WOTR podcast logo designed by Dani Opal.
Alex’s One-Pot Curry
- 1 big pot of quinoa (I always make a big pot so I can have extra for salads or soups)
- Red Peppers
- Curry Paste (red or green)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans
- 1/2 Bullion Cube (Vegetable or Chicken)
- Cook the quinoa first and set aside, use the extra for salads and soups
- Dice and chop whatever vegetables are in your fridge. If you don’t have onions, carrots, and peppers, you can use broccoli, red cabbage, kale – any vegetable will work!
- Put the vegetables, curry paste, spices, coconut milk, beans, and bullion in the pot and simmer
- Serve with quinoa and (optionally) top with plain greek yogurt and sesame seeds
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.