Episode 22: Keep Driving South – Shruthi Lapp
Hosted By Laura Hughes
Banner Image by Peter Lapp
You can find home in the most unexpected places. And if you’re Shruthi Lapp, you find it in South America.
When Shruthi took off over two years ago in a camper with her husband, Peter, she wasn’t expecting to end up in Baja, Mexico, wishing she could keep driving further south. She also wasn’t expecting to take her camper to Miami, put it in a shipping container and– knowing little Spanish– meet it down in Colombia. But when you feel at home somewhere, you take your rolling home and your sense of adventure straight there.
From practical tips on traveling to and through South America, to charming anecdotes of her time on the road thus far, this episode will take you on a joy ride through some places we have yet to cover on this series.
Probably searching for her next falafel. Llama/Alpaca enthusiast. Currently exploring the South American continent in a 1987 Volkswagen Westfalia Vanagon GL with a camera in-hand at all times.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How Shruthi’s camper first came into her life when she was a teenager
- The trip that inspired Shruthi and her husband to do more long term travel
- The unexpected story of what happened when Shruthi put in her 2 week’s notice
- How Shruthi’s family reacted to her plans to travel on the road with her husband
- A few of the ways Shruthi keeps in touch with her family while she travels
- Why she loves Baja, Mexico so much, and how it inspired more travel
- How to ship a camper van from the US to South America
- Assumptions Shruthi encountered about traveling in South America
- The challenges– and hilarity– of being a beginner Spanish speaker
- How Shruthi finds free camping in South America
- Why you should feel comfortable talking to locals and asking for help
- Tips for preparing for yourself for road travel through South America
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Shruthi on Instagram – @holidayatsee
- Shruthi’s travel blog – Holiday At See
- Shipping Our Van to South America: Miami to Cartagena – Holiday At See
- The language learning book Shruthi swears by
- Enter the Sawyer Giveaway with She Explores!
- You can get 30% off High Hopes Hammock products by using code SHEEXPLORES30 at checkout
- Shop Kuju Coffee online and get 20% off your order with code WOMENONTHEROAD
- Check out Monkii’s line of traveling strength training products, and see their new Kickstarter
- Connect to the Women On The Road community online:
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us.
You could also share this episode with a friend!
Episodes air weekly on Fridays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram @howsheviewsit and see more of her work through her website, How She Views It.
Music is by Jamie Stillway, Jason Shaw, and Josh Woodward.
WOTR podcast logo designed by Dani Opal.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.