Episode 18: The Girl and the Getaway Vehicle – Brianna Madia
Hosted By Laura Hughes
Banner Image by Keith Madia
Brianna takes the time to see potential where others might change course.
Some people might see her old campervan, Bertha, and think that it’s not worth the trouble– that the potential for breakdowns make it too risky to live in. Some people might see her incredibly active dog, Dagwood, and think that he’s too wild to give a home to. In fact, some people might think that the desert back roads aren’t the safest place to call home at all.
But unlike most people, Brianna fell in love with all of the above, and in taking the time to truly understand and appreciate them for what and who they are, she’s cultivated a unique life that reflects the very creatures she loves so much.
From her life outdoors, to the dogs she loves, to the breakdowns and online criticism she faces– this episode is full of Brianna Madia’s beautiful stories of adventure and understanding.
Brianna Madia is a storyteller and big orange van-dweller, spending most of her time in the deserts of southern Utah. When she’s not writing lengthy Instagram captions, she can be found rock climbing, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, and canyoneering – always with her husband and two dogs in tow.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- What makes Brianna’s camper, Bertha, particularly unique
- How Brianna came into owning the campervan she drives today
- The massive breakdown that stranded Brianna in Wyoming
- Why Brianna feels like it’s worth it to own an old vehicle like Bertha
- What it’s like to live with active dogs like Bucket and Dagwood
- How her dog Dagwood inspired her family’s outdoor lifestyle
- Tips for people wanting to live on the road with dogs
- The way Brianna deals with meanness and criticism online
- How we can continue to foster community by thoughtful online connections
- Touching stories from Brianna’s positive online experiences
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Follow Brianna on Instagram: @briannamadia
- Elizabeth Gilbert’s book, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- Connect to the Women On The Road community online:
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us.
You could also share this episode with a friend!
Episodes air bi-weekly on Fridays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode. Follow along with Laura Hughes on Instagram @howsheviewsit and read her reflections on the road through her website, How She Views It.
Music is by Common Creatures, Josh Woodward, Jason Shaw, Jahzzar, and Hyson.
WOTR podcast logo designed by Dani Opal.
Subscribe to She Explores
Provide your email for our latest stories.
Your email will be used exclusively by She Explores as described above.