2018 Gift & Giving Guide
by the She Explores Team
Like last year, we put a lot of thought into our Gift & Giving Guide for the holiday season.
We’ve pulled together a mix of things to buy (sourced from small shops and responsible retailers), gifts to make (tutorial links included!), and ideas for thoughtful ways to give back.
No matter what is pulling us outdoors (or keeping us in) as the snow begins to fall, we hope this season sees us drawing closer with those we love, and feeling gratitude for what we have and what we can offer others to stay warm, well equipped, inspired, and cared for this time of year.
Make, Gift, & Give Back:
GIFT: Things to buy, make, and give to the curious, outdoor-loving women in your life.
- Upstream by Mary Oliver — Selected essays from one of our favorite poets
- DIY Lavender Bath Bombs — Tutorials here and here
- Bombas Socks — For every pair purchased, Bombas donates a pair to someone in need. Get 20% off your first order with code ‘EXPLORES’ at checkout!
- BioLite SiteLite Mini
- Outdoor Voices Mega Fleece Pullover — It’s 65% recycled wool! Get 20% off your first order of $100 or more use code ‘EXPLORES’ at checkout
- DIY Festive Trail Mix — Recipe by Fresh Off the Grid
- Sugarsky Headband — Cute and eco-friendly
- DIY Succulent Terrarium — Tutorial here
- DIY Map Coasters — Tutorial here
- Benchmark State Recreation Maps — Detailed maps of public lands, highways, recreation, camping, parks and wildlife areas for travelers of all kinds. Get 20% off your order with the code ‘SHEEXPLORES’ at checkout!
- Powers Provisions Knit Hat
- Kula Cloth — A game changer for women who pee while outdoors
- She Explores (THE BOOK!) — Pre-order here
- DIY Pumpkin Cookie Dough Truffles — A high protein, whole food, vegan recipe
- Miir Insulated Camp Mug
- Within: A 4-Week Program to Explore the Inner Landscape of Your Creativity — a digital creative class by Amanda Sandlin
- Art Calendar by Kristin Link or Sarah Uhl
GIVE BACK: Since the giving season is time to give something back, too.
- Donate funds to a worthy cause. A few of our favorites:
- OUT There Adventures — A nonprofit dedicated to empowering LGBTQ youth through their connection with the natural world (Learn more in Podcast EP 86)
- Native Women’s Wilderness — An organization that aims to elevate the voices of Native Women in the Outdoor Realm and to educate Natives and non-Natives on the rich beauty and heritage of Ancestral lands (Learn more in Podcast EP 53)
- Eastern Sierra Conservation Corps — It funds programs like Women in Wilderness (Learn more in Podcast EP 33)
- National Parks Conservation Association — Working to protect and preserve our nation’s most iconic and inspirational places for present and future generations (Learn more in Podcast EP 70 & EP 71)
- Photos That Unite: Personal Stories of Cancer’s Impact & Breast Cancer Research Foundation — A small project and a big foundation, both which support those affected by cancer (Learn more in WOTR EP 32)
- Donate used outdoor gear. Look locally, or try:
- Organizations like Gear Forward
- Local gear exchanges, or hiking or climbing clubs
- Give your time. You know your community and it’s specific needs. Showing up and offering your time in person is a great way to give.
- Invite friends or family to join and volunteer together
- MeetUp is one way get plugged in to volunteer groups in (almost) any community
Editor’s note: Although some of the brands featured have supported our podcast in the past, this holiday gift guide has not been sponsored in any part. All goods represented reflect products and projects we truly love.
What’s on your list this year?