Banner image by Sirena Rana Dufault
Join us in our She Explores Podcast Facebook Group->
Sirena Rana Dufault is an expert on trails, but that hasn’t always been the case: hers is a hard-won expertise born of patience. Trails inspired her to persevere through the chronic pain of fibromyalgia, develop an intimate relationship with her newfound home state of Arizona, and change the course of her career.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
– How Sirena started hiking at the age of 19
– The impact a car accident and the onset of Fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition, had on her life and hiking
– Tips for women whose romantic partners aren’t as interested in hiking or backpacking
– The benefits for Sirena of hiking solo
– How to stay connected when you’re off the grid
– What fibromyalgia feels like for Sirena and why she chooses to hike through the pain when she can
– Why section hiking a long trail is a great alternative to thru hiking
– History of the Arizona Trail
– How hiking trails connect communities to hikers and vice versa
– How Sirena started a career in trails
– The work she does through her consulting company, Trails Inspire
– Why promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a key element of her company’s mission statement and how she’s already put that mission into practice
– The book Sirena is working on for Wilderness Press
– Why Sirena recommends hiking the same trail more than once
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, GooglePlay, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featuring: Sirena Rana Dufault
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere and Kai Engel via freemusicarchive.org.
Music is also by The Mariner