Episode 119: Adventure Moms
Getting Out There With (and Without) Your Kids
Sponsored by OtterBox
Becoming a mom doesn’t mean you stop going outside. We pulled together five incredible adventure moms to talk about getting out there with (and without) your kids.
We ask questions like: how do you know which trails are age-appropriate? How do you make time as a single mom? Where can you find affordable gear? How can you use the outdoors as a place for education?
Continuing the conversation from a panel at Outdoor Retailer, we teamed up with OtterBox to highlight all the “cans” of motherhood when it comes to the outdoors.
Interested in more outdoor mom stories? Check out our #motherhood & #family+relationships tagged posts!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Find the episode below, on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you stream podcasts.
Featured in this episode: Shon’t Savage, Brooke Froelich, Heather Balogh Rochfort, Melody Forsyth, and Jessica Carrillo Alatorre.
Hosted by Gale Straub
Music is by Lee Rosevere, Kai Engel, and Josh Woodward using CC by A license.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How the moms’ outdoor lives change (or didn”t change) shape when they had kids
- Why Shon’t wanted to maintain a self outside of mother when she had her son
- How Adventure Mamas helps mothers with self care in the outdoors without their kids
- Tips for making time outside solo (even if you’re a single mom)
- Advice for getting out there with your kids on the trail and the ski slope
- About Hike It Baby and their new age-appropriate Family Trail Guide
- Tips for hitting the trail with special needs kids from Melody Forsyth, aka @downwithadventure
- How to find affordable used gear for growing kids
- Ways to keep your kids engaged as they grow older
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Sponsor Websites & Promotions
Panel at the OtterBox booth at Outdoor Retailer
Melody Forsyth and family of Down With Adventure
Shon’t Savage is on the board of Adventure Mamas and mother to a 12 year old son
Jessica Carrillo Alatorre is the interim Executive Director at Hike it Baby
Brooke Froelich and her two little ones
Heather Baloch Rochfort and her daughter, Liliana
Enjoy this episode? Rate us on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. It’ll help other people find us. You can also share this podcast with a friend. Thank you for your support!
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays – subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.